Tuesday, January 25, 2011

First Blog Ever: Dinner from Wittenberg's CDR (Central Dining Room).

I am new at this so forgive me if it is now up to par with typical blog standards.

        Wittenberg University is a small campus consisting of roughly 2,000 students therefore only has one main cafeteria where a student's meal plan works.  It is all you can eat, so for a football player that is a plus.  I just wish the food here had more variety and well, more flavor.  It has your basic cafeteria essentials.  Burgers at the grill, pizza, soup of the day, a sub par sandwich station, vegetarian specials (for the weirdos of the food society), and hot specials that change everyday, typically these are bad.  Tonight though, the CDR caught off guard with something that was unusual to see but ended up be quite delectable.  After having a usual cold and crappy chicken paddy with mayonaise, lettuce, and pickle I was in search of something else to fulfill my appetite.  Lines were long and none of the food looked worth waiting.  I sucked it up and tried my shot at the soup tonight. Two choices were given to me.  Vegetarian Minestrone ,that looked something like throw up from a Saturday night here on campus, or Seafood Gumbo with brown rice.  I thought "what the hell" and gave the gumbo a chance.  It had a strong fishy smell to it but nothing that so overpowering I would pass on the dish. I have only ate gumbo maybe two or three times before this so I'm not experienced in world of Creole cuisine but let me tell you the CDR didn't do a bad job on this one.  The dish had a nice taste to it.  A little bland but that was fixed with some salt and paper.  Spicy but not too much.  Sometimes spices can overpower a dish and you don't get the full flavor of the main ingredients, in this case the shrimp and the sausage.  The shrimp was small, as expected from a school cafeteria with a budget, but still had a bold flavor.  The sausage was cooked just enough to where the skin snapped when you bit into it. One complaint about this dish: the okra was way too soggy, this may be do the fact that it was on a hot plate and still cooking, but I think okra should be little crisper than what it was tonight.  Tonight CDR you earned a B.  Good grade but why don't you shoot for the A next time (doubt that will happen). Well I'm out for now.

Best Eats To You All,
   Ian McNeill

2 comments: